Aptech Study Abroad

Studying and working in Canada as an Indian student

Work while studying/Studying and working in Canada as an Indian student:

Many overseas students opt to work during their education. It helps them cover some of their expenses and obtain Canadian experience. You can opt for the following options while you are pursuing post-secondary education.

  • Work on Campus
  • Work off-campus

Important Tip:

Please secure the following essentials to work in Canada as an international student:

Apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Open a Canadian bank account.

  • Work on campus:
  • On-campus employment refers to working for an employer on your university's campus or in a specific teaching or research role closely tied to your university. On-campus employment does not require a separate work permit.

    Tip: The number of hours you can work on campus is unlimited. However, working more than 20 hours a week while pursuing a full-time course may be challenging, balancing work and study life.

  • Work off campus
  • You may be able to work off-campus with your study permit. You'll be able to work for various businesses, including restaurants, cafés, and retail stores. This opens many additional part-time work opportunities:

  • Working as a co-op student or intern
  • This (co-op or internship) is another way for overseas students to gain Canadian job experience and earn money while studying.

    Co-op education and internship programmes may have one or two intakes every year.

    Please note that you require a co-op work permit to engage in co-op employment or an internship.

    How to Obtain a Co-op Work Permit

    Because obtaining a co-op work permit/ visa might take up to four months, you should apply as soon as you know you will participate in a co-op or internship program. To be considered for a co-op work visa, you must:

    • You must have a valid study permit.
    • Work experience must be a requirement of your program.
    • You must receive a letter from your DLI verifying that the student in the program is required to complete work placements to acquire degrees,

    The most crucial benefit of Co-op is that you achieve full-time Canadian work experience during your co-op term.

  • Work in Canada after graduation
  • After completing your graduation/program, you can work in Canada full time and live in Canada permanently. To work in Canada, you need to get a post-graduation work permit. Please note you have up to six months (180 days) to apply for a PGWP after you graduate.

Study Assessment From