Aptech Study Abroad

Which visa would be right for you?

Canada has a range of visas that allow you to go to school, take a course or do other training. For full details, go to Immigration Canada.

Visa types

If you want to study a full-time course in New Zealand that’s longer than three months in total duration, you’ll need a student visa.

Depending on your visa conditions, you may be able to work up to 20 hours a week during the term and full-time over the holidays.


If you want to take a short course of study while you’re in New Zealand, a visitor visa may be the best choice of visa for you.

A visitor visa allows you to take one or more courses lasting up to three months in total. While you’re here, you can enjoy New Zealand’s stunning scenery, vibrant cities and friendly people.


If you plan to study more than one course in New Zealand, the pathway student visa may be the only visa you need.

The pathway student visa allows you to study up to three consecutive courses for up to five years with one or more qualifying education providers. For example, you could take an English language course, followed by foundation studies, then a degree programme – all on the one visa.


If you want to stay in Canada to get some practical work experience after you’ve completed your qualification, you may be able to apply for a post-study work visa.

A post-study work visa will allow you to work for up to three years in New Zealand after you graduate, depending on what you study and where you study.

Find out more about our post-study work visas at Immigration Canada.


Visa-free travel

If you’re coming to Canada's without a visa, you may need to apply for an NZeTAbefore you travel.Read more about the NZeTA and find out if you need one.

Student visa requirements

Most visitor, student and work visas can take up eight weeks to process, but could also take longer if more information is needed. As a guide, you’ll usually need to provide the following documents with your student visa application:

An offer of place from an approved education provider

Evidence that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees

Your passport and acceptable passport-style photo(s)

Proof of funds – $15,000 per year, to cover your living expenses

A copy of your air ticket home, or proof that you have enough money to buy one

An accommodation guarantee, if you’re under 18

Your visa application fee

You may also be asked to provide a medical certificate and chest x-ray, and a police certificate.